Why Creating a Flexible Working Environment is a Win-Win
Much has been said, and written, about the benefits or otherwise of creating a flexible working environment – providing people with a mix of spaces and times where they undertake their work.
Employers want to attract and retain talented people and also maximise their productivity. Most office-based roles require communication between people, so collaboration is essential, but people also need flexibility in where and when they work. In addition, within offices, there are often challenges:
- Open plan environments can be great for interaction, but more challenging for people who need an environment in which they can concentrate
- Meeting room space is often expensive to provide and inflexible
Research shows that people who are given flexibility to move between different environments during the working day deliver the best performance. The ability to work from any place at any time also delivers great advantages to businesses:
- You tap into getting the best from people – enabling people to work from the location, and at the times, when they are at their most productive
- Providing a flexible workplace can have the added benefit of delivering business continuity – you are no longer reliant on the fixed office
- There are reductions in cost through the flexible use of expensive office space
Flexible working doesn’t necessarily mean “work from home”, but providing the technology which provides the ability to work from a range of different locations, both within and outside core offices, is key to enabling flexible working. This is where technology to support flexible working becomes a win-win.
The traditional workplace has people sitting at fixed desks at fixed times. This has benefits in giving people regular and familiar space to work, but that fixed infrastructure also creates inflexibility that is discovered when there is a need to move people around offices or in the event of building and its facilities being unavailable.
Technologies that enable flexible working rethink the way that office systems are delivered:
- Workstations move from wired networks and “tower” PCs to wireless connections and mobile devices
- Telephony moves from fixed wires to flexible “find me anywhere” cloud-based services
- Applications move from fixed locations and servers, with lack of resilience, to secure cloud-based systems with built-in high availability.
- Information is moved from expensive paper-based systems to secure and controlled electronic storage.
- Communication between people and teams moves from fixed and lengthy meetings to short meetings, with a frequency that suits the task, decision making and follow-up actions and decisions.
Managedservices.co.uk has extensive experience of working with businesses of a range of sizes and we provide the technologies that are needed to securely build a flexible working environment. We have a range of specific services that help with flexible working including:
- Microsoft office 365 provides secure cloud office systems and licences can be purchased online here
- Cloud telephony
- We also provide a retained IT Manager Service and will provide you with further advice
For more information on flexible working solutions, please call us on 0330 088 9999 or email us here
Further information on the services we offer to provide mobility solutions can be found here